attorney at law
Gianfranco A. Pietrafesa
New Jersey, 1989
New York, 1996
District of Columbia, 1991 (inactive status)
U.S. District Court, District of NJ, 1989
U.S. District Court, Southern District of NY, 1996
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1990
U.S. Supreme Court, 2008
U.S. Tax Court, 1992
Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1989
Fairleigh Dickinson University, B.S., Accounting, summa cum laude, 1986
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
• Named to NJBIZ 2020 Law Power 50 List.
• Recipient of 2020 Alfred C. Clapp Award for Excellence in Legal Education by New Jersey Institute for Continuing
• Received 2012 Distinguished Legislative Service Award from New Jersey State Bar Association in recognition of
work involved in New Jersey's enactment of the New Jersey Revised Uniform Limited Liability Company Act.
• AV-rated (Preeminent 5 out of 5) by Martindale-Hubbell.*
• Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America* in the area of Corporate Law (2006-2020),
as noted in www.BestLawyers.com.
• Selected by The Best Lawyers in America as the 2013, 2016, 2018 and 2020 Hackensack Corporate Law "Lawyer
of the Year."
• Profiled in The Best Lawyers in America.
• Selected by his peers for inclusion as a Super Lawyer* in the area of Business Litigation (2005) and
Business/Corporate (2009-2012; 2014-2020), as noted in www.SuperLawyers.com.
• Selected as one of Bergen's Top Lawyers in the area of Business Law by (201) Magazine* (2011-2019).
• Selected as one of Bergen County's Top Lawyers in the area of Business Law by Bergen Magazine* (2017-2019).
• Article in Bergen Magazine in 2017.
• Selected as one of 40 distinguished young lawyers (40 under 40) by the New Jersey Law Journal (August 26,
• Author, Chapter on “Complaints,” New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure
(New Jersey Law Journal Books, 2008 and 2010).
• Author, Chapter on “Post Trial Motions,” Trial Tactics Defense Litigation Manual
(Defense Research Institute, 2006).
• Author, Annual Supplements, Chapter on "Evidence" (2002-2006), New Jersey Federal Civil Procedure
(New Jersey Law Journal Books).
• Author of numerous articles on business law, litigation and legal ethics.
• New Jersey State Bar Association (1990- ).
• Business Law Section
• Director, Business Law Section (2002- ).
• Chairman, Business Law Section (2010- 2012).
• Secretary, Business Law Section (2008-2010).
• Co-Chair, Communications Committee (2006-2008).
• Member, Business Entities Committee (2006- ).
• Member, Executive Committee, Young Lawyers Division (1995-96).
• Hudson-Bergen Inn of Transactional Counsel
• Vice President (2016- ), Trustee (2009- ), and Member (2008- ).
• Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey
• Member, Family Business Forum (2017- ).
• Member, Manufacturing Forum (2014- ).
• New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (1996-2010).
• Member, Editorial Board (1996-2010).
• Special Editor, Business Litigation Issue, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (Feb. 2008).
• Special Editor, Business Law Issue, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (June 2006).
• Special Editor, Corporate Practice Issue, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (Dec. 2002).
• Special Editor, Trial Practice Issue, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (Nov./Dec. 1998).
• American Bar Association (1990- ).
• Business Law Section
• Trial Attorneys of New Jersey (1994-2012).
• Association of the Federal Bar of the State of New Jersey (1992-2012).
• The District of Columbia Bar (1991- ).
• Defense Research Institute (1996-2017).
• Passaic County Bar Association (1992- ).
• Bergen County Bar Association (2008- ).
• Inn of Transactional Counsel (Essex-Morris), Solicitor (2002-2007).
• Justice Pashman American Inn of Court (Bergen County), Pupil (1994-96).
• Worrall F. Mountain American Inn of Court (Morris County), Pupil (1992-93).
• Adjunct Faculty, Seton Hall University School of Law, M&A Transactional Skills Course (2013).
• Adjunct Faculty, Fairleigh Dickinson University, Paralegal Studies Program, Corporate Law (2003-2008).
• Lecturer on numerous presentations and seminars on business law and legal ethics topics.
• District XII Fee Arbitration Committee (Union County).
• Chair (2003-2005); Vice Chair (2002-2003); Member (2001-2005).
• District XII Ethics Committee (Union County).
• Member (1996-2000).
• Condemnation Commissioner, Superior Court of New Jersey (1995; 1996; 2005).
• Commercial Arbitrator, Superior Court of New Jersey, Passaic County (1994-2012).
* No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. For selection methodology of AV-rating, Best Lawyers and Super Lawyers, please visit www.Martindale.com, www.BestLawyers.com and www.SuperLawyers.com.